Newsletter Archive
Introducing Our Firm
Tax Articles
Need Help?
Our Blog
Other Websites

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

Can I claim my grandparents as dependents if they have earned income?

April 19, 2004

Subject:  Grandparent dependents
From:  Amber
Date:  Sat, 27 Mar 2004

Hi Mr. Gray,

I'm trying to figure our how and if my husband and I are able to claim my grandparents. They live with us 9 months out of the year. When they live with us, we provide all of their living requirements or support. They do not contribute to our household expenses. They manage an RV park for three months, for which they have W-2 income of $1,900 each, and have Social Security income. Can we claim them as dependents?


Date:  Fri, 2 Apr 2004

Hello Amber,

Yes. Tax exempt Social Security payments are not counted for the income limitation. Your grandparents do not have enough income for their Social Security to be taxable. You are providing more than one-half of their support, and they meet the relationship test. Remember, they can't claim their own exemptions if you claim them.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

Can I claim my grandparents as dependents if they have earned income?

Home | Newsletter Archive | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Articles | Tax FAQ | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St. Ste. 102
San Jose, CA 95129
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 998-2766
Join the Tax & Business Insight
for tax news!

subscribe html
unsubscribe text only

We respect your email privacy!